Pat Buchanan is forcing me to defend Obama

Posted: March 30, 2011 by socklessjoe in Ewww - taste this!, FAIL, Fun With Media

There’s a lot to criticize in President Obama’s handling of the Libya situation, but that hasn’t gotten in the way of Pat Buchanan’s uncanny ability to be wrong.

Buchanan’s 3/25 column:

When Greek patriots sought America’s assistance, Daniel Webster took up their cause but was admonished by John Randolph. Intervention would breach every “bulwark and barrier of the Constitution.”

“Let us say to those 7 million of Greeks: We defended ourselves when we were but 3 million, against a power in comparison to which the Turk is but as a lamb. Go and do thou likewise.”

But Randolph, and by extension Buchanan, don’t have the history quite square.  Our rebel colonist forefathers had help.

Quoting directly from Wikipedia, bold added:

France, Spain and the Dutch Republic all secretly provided supplies, ammunition and weapons to the revolutionaries starting early in 1776. After early British success, the war became a standoff. The British used their naval superiority to capture and occupy American coastal cities while the rebels largely controlled the countryside, where 90 percent of the population lived. Then, the Continentals’ unexpected victory and capture of a British army at the Battle of Saratoga in 1777 convinced France to openly enter the war in early 1778, bringing the revolutionaries’ military strength into balance with Britain’s. Spain and the Dutch Republic—French allies—also went to war with Britain over the next two years, threatening an invasion of Great Britain and severely testing British military strength with campaigns in Europe—including attacks on Minorca and Gibraltar—and an escalating global naval war. Spain’s involvement culminated in the expulsion of British armies from West Florida, securing the American colonies’ southern flank.

French involvement proved decisive, with a French naval victory in the Chesapeake leading to the surrender of a second British army at the Siege of Yorktown in 1781.

I guess “Foreign aid for me, but not for thee” is Pat Buchanan’s creed.

(Originally posted at the ol’ homestead.)

About these ads
Comments
  1. chad98036 says:

This is the same guy who blames Poland for starting WWII so don’t feel bad in supporting Obama’s position over his.

2. socklessjoe says:

Yeah, I know I shouldn’t take him seriously, but it’s hard not to when he’s on MoJoe every morning and in my newspaper opinion page occasionally. And getting paid to do so.

3. Mark E says:

A slight ‘yeah, but’

In the mid 1770s, France had recent history of war with England (see French & Indian War in Americas and Wars in India) as well as hundreds of years of on again / off again conflict in Europe. Starting war again with their traditional enemy was not an uncommon action by Paris.

We do not have a history of war with Turkey / Ottoman Empire.

We do have a history of fighting islam. Unfortunately, our inglorious leader has decided to aid the terrorists.

I agree though that Buchanan needs to stfu.

4. socklessjoe says:

I think it would be fair to say Qaddafi, having blown up an airliner with a bunch of Americans on it, has a history of enmity with the US.

But my broader point about Pat Buchanan is to at least slightly deflate this idea that every revolution has to be a pristine domestic uprising with no foreign intervention.

My problem with Obama is that he’s taken an extremely risky path of intervening without necessarily doing enough to get the job done, partly because he has still not defined what the job is yet, nor is he necessarily committed to the rebels. There’s the strong possibility of a worst of both worlds scenario.

5. Nord says:

Have some gathering to do before I really talk about this…but.. Wikipedia? I mean really?

6. Nord says:

I would agree that we cant ignore the French contribution.
    I would argue most vehemently however that we repaid that debt in spades.