The Bad Old Days

Posted: April 25, 2012 by veeshir in Random Crap

Pretty cool pictures of NYC from 100 years ago, with one pic and a link to the NYC Archives with more,including some from the 80s.

That’s Lucky Luciano, he’s like a caricature of a Mafia goomba. The pics are a mix of cool stuff, like the painters hanging out in the rigging of the Brooklyn Bridge, and messed up, like the pic of the mobster stuffed in a garbage can.

They the pics from the 80s are interesting too.  That’s when I used to hang out in the City, and it’s weird how much it’s changed. Back then, you could, and usually would, see junkies shooting up on the streets and know that within a mile of you someone was being raped, someone else was being murdered and a bunch of someone elses were being mugged at any given minute.  It wasn’t a pretty place and you had to be very much on your toes.

That was before Benito Giuliani cleaned up the city that could not be cleaned up. It’s changed quite a bit since then.

I forget where I saw this, probably the puppy blender.

Update with the link to the archives above

About these ads
Comments
  1. Nicole says:

Their server was overloaded last night, but what I saw with the linked article was way cool.

• veeshir says:

Yeah, that database is still overloaded, but those pics are pretty cool. NYC in the 30s was an interesting place.
      Giuliani really cleaned it up a lot, before him there were lots of scary places, now, there are still some scary places but they’re not as widespread as before.
      Even Hell’s Kitchen isn’t all that scary anymore, now it’s just half scary and half hipster,.

2. Russ from Winterset says:

For me the hipster half would be scarier than the “scary” half.

• veeshir says:

Yeah, it was tough deciding who to root for.

• Maximiliano says:

I doubt Stewart has an agenda.’ A peietscprve or point of view is different than an actual agenda. I guess he does want to point out hypocrisy and stupidity among our political elite.He also pointed out how CNBC and the financial news industry failed the country by being a mouth piece for corporate interests who were lying throughout the final bubble years. His interview of Jim Cramer (and shows leading up to it) was a cultural event, and much more journalistic and to the point than a lot of what was on TV. To be sure there was good newspaper coverage and books about the financial crisis, but so much TV/talk radio coverage was simplistic story lines designed to demonize one side and avoid criticism of the other.

3. DejahThoris says:

I think I’d prefer the NYC of the bad ole days to the current one, even thought I’ve never been there. Photos are phenomenal.

• veeshir says:

I’d bet not, unless you could afford to stay in the rich areas. The ugly areas were ug-lee.

If your car broke down and you had to leave it for a half hour to get a tow truck, when you got back it was stripped, covered with graffiti, and/or on fire, the expressways had tons of stripped, graffitiized , burned cars on the shoulders. Junkies were shooting up all over the place, You could be going down 5th Ave and in 15 blocks you’d see 5 junkies or more in doorways shooting up. Central Park was a scary place, after dark it was a no-go zone and even during the day you had to make sure you were in a crowded place. Women were raped in bushes in sight of others picnicing (the bushes, not the raping) The subway was iffy at best, if you were in the wrong place, or even the wrong car, you had problems. Times Square was scary.
      I spent much of my younger days trying to keep my parents, teachers and cops from knowing what I was doing and I was happy to see a cop in Times Square.

I hung out there in my late teens, early 20s a lot, and with even 4 guys my age, with me being the smallest at 5’11”, 180 lbs, we had to be on our toes.
      That’s why Bernard Goetz was a hero. Watch Death Wish III (and not just for the Wildey), the rioting bit in the movie was over the top, but there were neighborhoods that looked pretty much like that and the people lived in fear. Kind of like Detroit now (and back then of course).

Now, people are mad their stuff is stolen while they’re sleeping on the subway and you can hang out in Times Square without worrying about being mugged.
      The south Bronx and northern Manhattan near there is still scary, but Brooklyn is hipster village and even Queens is much mellower (I don’t know Staten Island, I never hung out there).
      Bloomberg is going over the top with his nannying, but Benito Giuliani did a good thing.

• DejahThoris says:

No, no, no, I’m talking about going back in my imaginary time machine to the 1920s. Of Course, I would be rich, and travel the world.
        Hell to the NO on the 1980s.