Posted: February 7, 2011 by veeshir in Moron of the Day, Moronosphere

Ace has a good post you’ve probably all read.

He gets a lot of stuff for agreeing with Allah too much but it seems to me that over the last few months to a year he’s been getting more and more “unhelpful”.

As with this when talking about the GOP not getting all jiggy with the spending cuts.

But what’s the excuse when a supposed ideology is actually politically popular? What’s the excuse not to push ideology then?

I can’t think of one. Though I assume a lot of go-along-to-get-along Polite Company Conservatives are scrambling to invent reasons.

Preach it brother.

Many of our fine, career pols like the high spending, increasing regulation and control of every aspect of our lives just fine no matter the party. They’re “elite” after all, we need them to tell us how to live our lives or we’ll screw the whole thing up and if they become millionaires (billionaires?) for their trouble? Well that’s the price they’re willing to pay.

I’m beginning to wonder if we need new parties for the current political reality.

The next couple of elections will decide it I guess, but here’s the split I would like to see.

Merge the “centrist” Dems and Rinos into one party and call it “Gov’t is Good” or “We’re Smarter Than You” party.

Move the lefties into one party so we don’t have the supposedly separate leftist Dems, Greens and Commies confusing the issue, they’re dissed by their chosen party at least as much as libertarianishes are by the GOP so why stay?.

This would have the side effect of showing them that the rest of America thinks they’re fucking insane, especially when they attack the “We’re Smarter Than You” Party and Minitru goes after them the way they go after effective conservatives, or even just shows the hate placards at their protests instead of the just the fluffy bunny ones.

Move the “smaller gov’t”/Tea Partyis folks into one party. Personally, I’d say a party that actually follows the Constitution and leaves social issues to the social sphere. It could have Reagan and Blue Dog dems, Libertarians, conservatives and even, gasp!, Republicans (I know) in it.

I’d like a party that believes that the gov’t should keep people, foreign or domestic, from hurting us and taking our stuff and that’s mostly it.

We need choices other than a faster or slower increase in the size and scope of gov’t, we need a third choice of “shrinking gov’t”.

Let’s make it a gov’t program to shrink gov’t, there’s one gov’t program I’d like to see permanent.

Imagine that, a bureaucracy dedicated to getting rid of other bureaucracies. It could only get a larger budget by cutting more and more other dept’s.

Comments
  1. chad98036 says:

So let’s say you’re right and raising the debt ceiling is wildly unpopular, I question that in that I don’t that many people actually think that much about it, does that mean it’s actually wrong?

Does popularity actually equate to right / correct?

I don’t know if raising the debt ceiling is the correct thing to do or not (not from the moral / ideological standpoint but from the will it crash our economy into the ground standpoint), but let’s assume congress decides that it isn’t. If the economy immediately crashes as many economists predict are we willing to accept that responsibility and outcome.

I don’t know if that will actually happen, but it has to be considered.

The debt ceiling was not the whole thing
    But the argument goes like this: If Congress took two years to increase the deficit by a trillion dollars, why the hell should it take any longer than that to ratchet it back down?

That was more to the point and right before he wrote the bit I quoted.

So the economy is going to crash? Hmmmm, now many things have we done in the last 4 years that kept the Economy From Crashing or We Were All Gonna Die!!!!!!? How many of those things made a bad situation worse? How many papered over the cracks while not fixing the underlying problem?
    If we had allowed the housing market to go its way years ago we would have had the correction needed long ago. As it is, we’re up over 10% empty housing.

Or should we keep doing what we’ve been doing that got us here? Raising the debt ceiling just puts off the day of reckoning.

You have a very good chance of dying if you have heart surgery, right? Why would anyone choose to have it?
    Because the alternative is worse.

3. Elliott says:

I’m not sure you could throw Reagan in with the group that “leaves social issues to the social sphere.” Being 4 when Bush Sr took office, I don’t have the memories of living in a world with a Reagan president. I do know that Reagan was given quite a boost by bringing in a lot of social cons over the abortion issue. So to say Reagan wasn’t a social sphere meddler is somewhat incorrect, though he’d fit in the rest of the way. That said, I don’t think we’d wind up with things much different than we have now. We have mostly squishes with a few crazy outliers on both sides.

• Veeshir says:

I didn’t mention Reagan except Reagan Democrats, I didn’t mean to imply anything about Reagan except Reagan Dems were generally fiscally conservative and didn’t think the gov’t was the answer to everything.

• Veeshir says:

I see what happened, I should have written “Reagan Democrats and Blue Dog Democrats” instead of “Reagan and Blue Dog Dems”.

4. alexthechick says:

I have to say, I’d be thrilled to see the current two party system burn to the ground.

5. Elliott says:

That does make more sense.

6. If the economy immediately crashes as many economists predict are we willing to accept that responsibility and outcome.

If there is a danger of a consequence, you won’t find a single politician coming anywhere near it.

7. davisbr says:

…I’ve been calling it “the Whig Moment” for …jeezus: has it been that long? …since about 2002/3 or so.

So. I’m in.