Coming soon to a cablebox near you…

Posted: February 23, 2011 by chad98036 in Uncategorized

Al-Jazeera

Al-Jazeera is in discussions with Comcast, the nation’s largest cable operator, about bringing the network’s English-language channel to millions of U.S. homes, the Qatar-based news service said Tuesday.

I can’t say I actually have a problem with this.  Until we break our dependence on foreign oil the Middle East is vital to America’s economic prosperity and our national security.  That fact makes it important that we as a country have an understanding of what is going on in that area; both so our policy makers can form policy and so that we as voters can evaluate their performance. Al-Jazeera provides some insight at least.  It certainly can’t do any worse than the CIA.  I heard somewhere yesterday that the recent events in Tunisia and Egypt caught the government completely off-guard, and that is one reason the response is so scattershot.  I really have no trouble at all believing that.

Comments
  1. Old Iron says:

I used to watch that news channel when I was working in the Mid East and honestly, out of the selections of either Sky News or the Beeb they were the most informative and… … UNbiased.

I have directv and they have Al Jazeera on two different channels for a half hour at a time a few times a day.

I’ve been watching them on LinkTV (hate Amerikkka channel) and on a local, DC channel that shows lots of international programming.

They’re no worse than Fox, CNN or MSNBC in terms of accuracy, they also pass along every rumor they get with the “We can’t confirm this but we’re broadcasting it anyway” disclaimer.

It’s been interesting to see the jihadist take on what’s going on, they don’t seem to know what the deal is anymore than anybody else.

3. Sean M. says:

Some of the local PBS stations have been carrying Al-Jazerra newscasts lately, and I have to say that they had the best coverage of what was going on in Egypt.

4. socklessjoe says:

I watched AJ streaming online for a day or two when the crap started hitting the fan in Egypt. They really didn’t have the opportunity to editorialize very much during the relatively brief time I was watching. I can’t say I’d watch AJ if there wasn’t some shit going down on live TV.

What news channel I watch depends on what breaking news there is. If there’s something space/NASA related, CNN is the place to go b/c they have this vestigial reporting infrastructure from back when we had a real space program.

I watch Mosaic occasionally, they show news shows from the Middle East, including Israel and Iraq, and will show some if there’s something going on in another Muslim country, like Sudan. It’s interesting seeing the same episode, like mortars hitting Sderot, Israel and the response. Israeli tv pretty much always mentions both, Iraqi TV often mentions both, the rest? Except for one in Lebanon and one or two others, they only show the supposed aftermath of the Attacks by the Zionist Entity (never Israel), complete with crying widows, orphans and teddy bears. And even the Lebanese one isn’t as free and open as it was. I have a feeling they got a visit from some Hezbollah gov’t types and saw the error of their non-Zionist-Entity hating ways.

I almost never watch Al Jazeera for anything, the editorial slant in all their “news” is as bad as MSNBC and they do it in the cultured, public school Brit accent. You really want to smack the smug off their faces.

Hell, I don’t watch any news channel too much, I rarely watch any of them for more than 10 minutes at a clip, no matter the channel, if they’re not annoying partisans they’re just ignorant, blow-dried monitor readers, (or both. Hey Shep!) and the “cutesy” stuff they have to throw in just annoys me.
    I dowatch Fox from 6-7, in and around watching Scrubs, and I watch at least part of O’Reilly’s opening rant.

6. Old Iron says:

Honestly, even though I do have a fairly positive view of VJ overall it is still better just to read sites like this, Ace and Fark to get the news that I want.

-Funnier too.