You really wanna go there?

Posted: June 4, 2012 by aliceaitch in Democratic morality, Fun with Elections, Liberal FAIL, Obama's Fault, Queerblogging

Our President, Barack Obama, says you should be able to marry anyone you want.  Barack Obama approves this message!

It’s amazing to me that the Democratic Party is so glibly whitewashing over why we had Don’t Ask Don’t Tell and the Defense of Marriage Act in the first place.  It’s like someone hitting you in the head with a hammer, and then when they finally stop 20 years later you’re so grateful that you want him and his buddies to run the country.  Even though the hammer-thumping is only stopping in just enough time for you to make it to the polls.  This is so blatantly, transparently manipulative that I’m going to have a hard time keeping from screaming at anyone who uses Obama’s support of marrying “anyone you want” as an excuse for voting for him.

It is, still, all about the economy, stupid.  Since Obama can’t win on the economy in any way, he has to resort to having horse-faced celebutards carry his message.

And besides, if you can’t pay for your fabulous wedding because you can’t find a job, it doesn’t matter if Obama is going to let you marry “anyone you want”.

Comments
  1. Goober says:

I don’t understand what you mean here. Can you elaborate?

• aliceaitch says:

Don’t Ask Don’t Tell and the Defense of Marriage Act were both products of the Clinton administration. Clinton won the support of the LGBT community by promising equal rights, then reneged on every promise he made. Yet somehow this has made his wife and him the darlings of the LGBT community.

2. Sockless Joe says:

To play devil’s advocate, I think anybody who was paying attention figured that DOMA would eventually be thrown out by the courts. It was way for the D’s to avoid a showdown on a Constitutional amendment that might have passed at the time, or at the very least would have dealt a severe blow to Democrat electoral chances for several cycles.

Basically, DOMA was a lie. Just like Obama’s “evolution” has been a lie.

The real reason nobody cares about the religious beliefs of Democrat politicians is that nobody actually believes that they actually hold the beliefs they profess to have. I don’t think Obama’s a secret Muslim, I think he’s a secret atheist. And I think a lot of people agree with me on that. A lot of people who voted for him, and prefer to think of him as an atheist rather than as a black liberation theology schismatic Christian.

Holy smokes! Romney’s a Mormon…. and it looks like he really believes it,… unlike Harry Reid.

• aliceaitch says:

I can’t really excuse the passage of DOMA based on “we didn’t think it would stick so long!”

• MikeD says:

I’m with Alice here. I didn’t cut GWB any slack for signing the McCain-Feingold Incumbent Protection… uh… I mean Campaign Finance Reform Act on the basis “it will be overturned by the Supreme Court.” Surprise! They upheld it.

Same deal. Don’t pass something you don’t believe in. Period.

3. Goober says:

I see what you’re saying. But to be fair, it came out under clinton during a republican lead house and senate. Clinton didn’t VETO them, but I don’t think that they were his ideas. Don’t ask don’t tell, to me, was actually a pretty cunning bit of statesmanship by slick willy, as i recall – allowed gays to stay in the military and undercut the republican’s argument that allowing them to enlist would be “disrutpive” to military discipline, invalidating their argument and creating a situation where if they wanted to push it further, they’d have to change their story a bit.

• aliceaitch says:

The House and Senate Democratic votes were both at a 2-1 ratio for passing DOMA, It passed overwhelmingly with support from both parties, and Clinton signed it into law. Clinton didn’t author it, Bob Barr did (yes, the ‘Libertarian’ Bob Barr).

And DADT may have been ‘slick’, but it wasn’t implementable. Can you really imagine not talking to someone you work and live with about major aspects of your life back home? It just doesn’t happen.

• DejahThoris says:

Unfortunately a lot of gay soldiers (and other military personnel)were forced to do that very thing. One of my buddies in AIT was a lesbian, which was completely irrelevant as far as I was concerned. From what I found out after I got out, (from The Husband, who was in the same battalion as I was), there were a number of gays and lesbian soldiers who had same-sex “roommates” off base. It never occurred to me to wonder about the sexuality of the troops that I served with, and I never knew that they were hiding themselves from everyone.

Apparently there are quite a number of gay soldiers in the Special Forces, from what The Husband has told me, and he served in a support capacity with SF teams for years. He’s been against DADT since its inception, and has also supported the rights of gay men and women to serve their country.

I have a buddy in Afghanistan who was an atheist, and converted to Catholicism. He says that no one gives a shit if you are gay, as long as you do your job. Which is exactly as it should be. I just hope that their loved ones receive the same benefits as heterosexual dependents.

I don’t honestly get the issue behind DOMA. I was married in a civil union, both times, and The Husband and I describe our legal contract as a “marriage. I don’t get what the difference between a “regular” marriage and a civil union is, other than 20-40 thousand dollars in debt.

So, I don’t quite understand why we need to use the Constitution to define a word, I thought we had the Oxford Dictionary for that.

• aliceaitch says:

By ‘not implementable’ I meant exactly what you’re describing, Dejah. My mother’s partner was in the National Guard during DADT, and it wasn’t uncommon to have “So do you have someone back home” come up in conversation. She ended up masculinizing my mother’s name so as not to arouse suspicion by refusing to have a conversation about her home life. She didn’t talk about us kids at all. (It’s probably a good thing that we were generally pain in the ass kids, so there may not have been much to talk about.) When I went to her basic training graduation, my mother and I were introduced as friends, not as family members, certainly not as partner and daughter, even though she’d been my step-parent since I was ten years old. How that’s equal treatment I don’t know.

I’d really prefer that government get their noses completely out of the marriage business and stick to issuing civil unions. Let the church or your buddy who got ordained online or your dog perform your marriage, according to your personal spiritual beliefs, but there is absolutely no reason for the state to be involved in legislating spiritual matters.

• DejahThoris says:

Tell your Step-Mom that I said thanks for serving, and for putting up with all the bullshit. I can’t even imagine how difficult it was for her, especially since it could get pretty sucky for a female at times. After Desert Storm, I heard from different 3rd parties that I was both gay AND pregnant, during the same time period. I don’t even know how one would go about trying to dispel a rumor that was true, but could get you thrown out, and stay true to yourself. That takes a huge commitment, and a wonderful partner who is willing to accept the charade, and keep up appearances. Bravo to both your parents.

4. MikeD says:

I served with guys I knew were gay, and guys I found out afterwards (when we were all out of the Army) were. And either way, I didn’t care. No impact on my life. And they were good at their job, that’s all I cared about. 92-97.

5. SOYLENT GREEN says:

Oh, I see Phyllis Diller dyed her hair. Damn, almost looks real.

6. Goober says:

Don’t think that I’m supporting DADT, guys, I didn’t mean to even pretend to sound like I was saying that. I was more or less snarkily admiring Clinton’s continued slickness, of which I think DADT is a perfect example. The guy was a sleaze.

I can’t imagine having to be in the closet and fear losing my career if one of my co-workers saw me out with my SO one night. That would be the ultimate in suck.

7. Shayne says:

When asked if she would support Romney, Sarah simply answered “nay-y-y-y.”