Apple removing references to being virus-free from their site

Posted: June 27, 2012 by doubleplusundead in Random Crap

Reality waggles its dick at Apple fanboys.  “You mean my $2000 Pro isn’t totally bulletproof?”  If or as Apple gains market share, Apple users are gonna have to get used to dealing with the same security issues PC users do.

The little Malic Talisman on the back of your laptop wasn’t protecting you, the obscurity of your OS was.

Comments
  1. Elliot says:

Yeah, what is it now 1.5 million PC viruses to around two Mac ones? That’ll teach those smug Mac bastards!

• doubleplusundead says:

U mad bro?

• doubleplusundead says:

And don’t get me wrong, I actually like a lot of what Apple offers, and when I make my next big upgrade as far as my electronics go will get due consideration. I’m just far too cynical a motherfucker to have much patience for Apple’s dewy-eyed legion of fanboys, and quite enjoy seeing them take a swift kick to the balls every now and then. There are pros and cons to everything out there, and someday Apple fanboys will learn that.

And of course you and I know if Apple had 90+% market share and dominance in business for as long as Microsoft has, they’d have 1.5 million viruses too.

2. Sockless Joe says:

Regardless of the system, 99% of security is not being a damned moron. Always run day to day tasks as a restricted user. Don’t open strange shit. Turn off auto-preview of emails. Keep your software up to date.

3. Elliott says:

Stop ruining the name with mac fanboyism. Apple is to real computers what Microsoft is to mp3 players. They found something they can do well, this does not mean the rest of their stuff is any good.

• aliceaitch says:

Actually, their hardware isn’t awful. (Cue gasps that I have anything nice at all to say about Apple or Macs.) It’s perfectly fine for installing a different OS on.

4. Elliott says:

Well sure, they do use basically the same internal components as a real computer. Intel processors and such. They just charge a lot more for the ability to install their OS.

If you’re trying to get a good flamewar going on, Mac V IBM just doesn’t seem to work anymore.
    Going after Glock fanbois works sometimes, Ron Paul is even spotty these days.

An old blog, Mean Mr. Mustard, always said that the best way to get a flamewar going was to bash Roger Waters. So you might want to try that next time.

6. Goober says:

Elliot – the last sentence sums it up – it isn’t the inherent superiority of the MAC OS that is saving you from viruses; it is the OBSCURITY of that OS. In other words, the folks writing malicious viruses don’t give enough of a shit about MAC to write viruses for them.

To sum up my point, you’d better not get too comfortable with that obscurity, old chap, because I figure MAC users are about to witness a flood of epic proportions as they crossed over some undefined point where it is now worthit to malicious software composers to start effing with you folks.