Colorado has some of the most permissive voting laws in the nation.
- We allow online voter registration
- We have a ballot by mail system that is almost exclusively used
- We permit same-day voting registration
- Convicted felons regain the ability to vote after their sentences are complete
- Failing to vote no longer changes a voter’s status to inactive; instead mail from the county must be returned undeliverable
The last item may not lend itself to mass voter fraud, but it certainly allows a deceased voter’s survivor to cast an extra ballot.
Just as disheartening is the lackadaisical attitude of the county clerks. Being “amazed that the number [of fraudulent votes caught] wasn’t larger” shows a blind faith in the system that isn’t warranted and a lack of understanding of basic math. The number of fraudulent cases should be compared to the number of ballots audited, not the total number cast.